I just finished reading this book yesterday while I was sitting in the library. I was supposed to do my project paper but I was too caught up with my reading that I took more than 1 hour of my supposed-to-be-time for Project Paper just to finish this book.
Firstly, I would like to introduce the name of the author. The author is a 'she' for starters. (^_^)
An Na. That is the name of the writer. She was born in Korea but grew up in San Diego, California.
And guess what? She's a former teacher! >.<
Her first novel, A Step from Heaven (which I haven't read), was a National Book Award Finalist & winner of the Michael L. Printz Award. Now, she's working on her third novel, The Fold (if I'm not mistaken..)
OKAY. Now I wanna share my opinion & feelings about the story. Excited!! >.<
This story is actually about a lady named Mina who does everything right in order to please her mother. However, on the inside, she knows the truth that her life is all lies. But when she meets Ysrael, a young migrant worker who works with her father, they fall in love with each other and that is when Mina realizes that she cannot lie anymore especially to Ysrael. So, what does she really want? Choose to please her family or make a different?
If you want to know the ending of the story, you have to read it by yourself.
I can guarantee you, the book is really interesting!
And since she was born in Korea, her writing style is so much influenced by Korean culture (language). For instance the used of 'Uhmma' & 'Uhn-nee' which I believe most of us know the meaning.
From the book, these are few parts that I like the most.
1st: This is what Mina says to Ysrael when he asks her to choose her own life instead of just living to please her mother & family.
"Sometimes it's not about choosing. It's about living up to a dream. It's about trying to please the people you love. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. i mean, my mom can be a pain, but she just wants the best for me."
2nd: Ysrael tells this to Mina when Mina questions about their differences in life and about Ysrael's ex-gf.
"All I know is that I don't want to be with her. I don't look at her and want to memorize every little thing she does. I don't think about ways to write songs for her. or how I can get her to smile. Or worry that she's not looking out for herself enough."s He took a deep breath. "I do that with you."
So? What do you think?
If you want to know more about the author and her books, visit her website.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment